Skip to main content

Student Academic Records Name Change Guidelines

All name change requests must be submitted with supporting documentation. Changes to the first, middle, and/or last name, suffix, or sequence of names will require the original or a certified copy of one of the following:

  • Government Issued ID (driver license, state ID card, valid passport)
  • Birth Certificate
  • Marriage Certificate
  • Court Order (must show change to new name)
  • Divorce Decree (must show change to new name)
  • Certificate of Naturalization/Green Card

We do not require documentation to add/delete a hyphen, space, apostrophe, or to abbreviate a middle name to initial.

If you are unable to visit the office in-person, a Demographic Change Form with supporting documentation can be mailed to the address below.  E-mails will only be accepted from NMSU.EDU e-mail address.  Incomplete forms or forms submitted with incomplete documentation will not be processed.

Download Demographic Change Form