Grading FAQs for Faculty

Check out the Canvas FAQ. Once your grades are pulled from Canvas into Banner, you can review and change grades, and then submit them through your Faculty Tab within myNMSU.
Instructions are available in the Entering Final Grades document. If additional information is needed, call 575-646-7444 or e-mail for help.
After you log on to MyNMSU, click on the Faculty tab which is located on the top right hand side of the page and then click on Final Grades under the Faculty bullet. On the Select Term page, make sure to change the term to current term as Banner defaults to another term automatically, and then click the Submit button. Once you click on the correct CRN selection, you will then have access to your class lists for the semester.
Did you select the correct term? If you did, then you have not been assigned as the instructor of the course that is missing from the drop down list. Please ask your Department to submit a schedule change through CLSS.
You can enter/change grades from the time grading is opened up until it closes. However, once grading closes at 5 p.m. Mountain Time on the Tuesday following finals week, you’ll need to fill out a Change of Grade/Removal of Incomplete Form for every student who is missing grades or for every student who is needing a grade change. The form is now available online on MyNMSU under the Faculty Tab.
You entered those dates when you entered midterm grades. You can either delete or change the Last Date of Attendance, as appropriate.
The student is not officially registered in the class. The Office of University Student Records will need a Retroactive Registration form to register the student before you can issue a grade.
You don’t have to enter grades to students who have officially withdrawn from a class or from the university. They already have a grade of “W” recorded in Banner.
If you assign a non-passing grade (“F,” “U,” or “RR”), you must also enter a last date of attendance. This should be that last academic-related activity the student took part in-a test, homework, participation in an online discussion, etc.
If you enter a non-passing grade without a last date of attendance, you will receive an error messages that reads "Your grade submissions have been rejected. A last attendance date is required for the following grade code(s): F. Please insert a last date of attendance and resubmit your grades" and none of your final grades will be saved.
NOTE: Banner requires dates be entered using the format-mm/dd/yyyy. Example, April 1 must be entered as 04/01/2023.  Any other format will cause an error message about the date format.
If a student is registered but never attended, please enter the first day of class as the last day of attendance. In addition, please enter 0 in the Attend Hours field as the financial aid rules for students who never attended are different from those students who attended the first day of class only.
No, you only need to enter a Last Attendance Date if a student has a non-passing grade and you only need to enter the Attend Hours for a student who never attended a class.
When you submit grades, and there are no problems, the following message should appear at the top of the grade sheet: "The changes you made were saved successfully!"
To double check that the grades that been entered were saved successfully,click on the Faculty tab, Final Grades, select the term , and then the CRN.
You can print out the Final Grades page or the Summary Class List by selecting the link at bottom right hand side of the page. There will be about 50 students per page. If you have more than 50 students in your class, you will have to print out each “record set” of 50 students.
You should enter a PR as the final grade the Office of University Student Records will add the final grade of “S” or “U” when we receive the Final Thesis Dissertation Grade Slip from the Graduate School.
You can make changes to grades before grading closes, but once grading has closed, you will need to fill out a Change of Grade/Removal of Incomplete Form. The form is available online on MyNMSU under the Faculty Tab.
No, You’ll need to fill out a Change of Grade/Removal of Incomplete Form for each student in the class.